Nyai Lara Santang changed her name after performing the Hajj. She was renamed Sharifah Mudaim. She then married to Sharif Abdullah, an Arab bangsawan. They have 2 children: one of them was Sharif Hidayatullah. When this son was a teenager, he returned to Cirebon. He was later known as Sunan Gunung Jati.
How did Sunan Gunung Jati become an influential man in the Demak Palace (Keraton Demak)?
- He was one of 9 Walisongo (Dewan Wali).
- He also married into the Demak royal family.
- His children also married into the Demak royal family.
So the Cirebon and Demak royal families became very close-knit.
The book, Meninjau Sepintas Panggung Sejarah Pemerintahan Kerajaan Cerbon 1479-1809, mentioned Sunan Gunung Jati once had 6 wives. However, 2 wives died without issue; so he only had 4 wives.
His wives are:
- Nyai Ratu Kawuganten, putri bupati Kawunganten Banten. She had 2 kids - Nyai Ratu Winahon and Maulana Hasanudin (he became Sultan Banten). Maulana Hasanudin married one of the princesses of Sultan Trengono, the third Demak king (raja Demak ketiga).
- Nyai Babadan, anak Ki Gedeng Babadan. She had 2 kids - Pangeran Trusmi and Ratu Martasari.
- Nyai Ratu Dewi Pakungwati, daughter of his uncle Pangeran Cakrabuwana. However, she died when Masjid Agung Sang Ciptarasa burnt down. She had no issue.
- Putri Ong Tien, a princess of a China's big lord (pembesar Cina). She had no issue.
- Nyai Ageng Tepasari. She was princess Putri Ki Ageng Tepasari, a big lord of Majapahit who joined the Demak royal family when Majapahit fell. She joined when Masjid Demak was being built. She had 2 kids - Ratu Wulung Ayu and Pangeran Pasarean. Ratu Wulung Ayu then married to Pati Unus who later became Raja Demak Kedua, replacing his father, Raden Patah. Pangeran Pasarean also married a princess of Raden Patah, Ratu Nyawa. She was a widow (janda) of Pangeran Bratakelana, a son of Sunan Gunung Jati from another wife.
- Nyai Lara Baghdad, who was a princess of Maulana Abdullrahman Al-Baghdadi. She had 2 kids - Pangeran Jayakelana and Pangeran Bratakelana. Pangeran Jayakelana married a Demak princess - putri Raden Patah named Ratu Pembayun. Pangeran Bratakelana married a princess of Raden Patah named Ratu Nyawa. He died while fighting Bajak Laut on his way home to Demak. His widow remarried to his relative, Pangeran Pasarean.
Demak replaced the fallen Majapahit Empire while Cirebon replaced the fallen Pajajaran Empire.
Raden Patah was descended from Kertabumi, the last Majapahit king (Raja Majapahit terakhir).
Sunan Gunung Jati was the grandson of Prabu Siliwangi, the last Pajajaran king (Raja Pajajaran terakhir).