Pak Rashid was well-known during his time. I met him a few times as a child - he had a keloid slash mark across his face. He was a Singaporean but made his fame in Serdang, dedicating his time and effort to agriculture. He developed Kolej Pertanian Serdang to become Universiti Pertanian Malaysia (UPM), Malaysia's first agricultural university. UPM had a name change, and became Universiti Putra Malaysia. Nevertheless, it is still an agriculture-based university even though other disciplines have been established - aerospace and medicine. The Rashid Foundation was set up in UPM in his honour. In politics, Pak Rashid was with Dato' Onn Jaafar in Parti Negara. He tabled for Bahasa Malaysia to be used throughout Malaysian schools and legislature. Pak Rashid helped established RIDA which later became MARA. MARA's first academic venture was ITM, which later became UiTM Shah Alam, a tertiary educational centre with numerous sub-campuses that cater for mainly Malay students at the cheapest possible cost (~RM470/semester in late 1990s). Pak Rashid is best remembered for his pioneering spirit in Malay agricultural services and for his contributions to nation building, especially by improving the fates of Malay smallholders and their families through education and access to educational opportunities.
Mohd Rashid bin Ahmad @ Pak Rashid, Serdang
Full name: Mohd Rashid bin Ahmad
Call name: Pak Rashid (suami Bi' Che Mah, kakak Nenek Inche)
From Pak Cik Hassan (anak Pak Rashid), 11 June 2010:
Year of birth: 1914
Birth place: Kampong Melayu, Singapore (on the west coast)
Year of death: 1986
Place of burial: Perkuburan Serdang, UPM
Age at death: 73 years
Father: Ahmad bin Hassan
Mother: Unknown (she died after giving birth)
Siblings (all Singaporeans)
1. Mohd Rashid (Pak Rashid) 1914-1986
8. Salleh (KL)
- He graduated from Raffles College in 1935, in the same class as Tan Sri Prof Ahmad Ibrahim, Kuliyyah of Laws, UIAM.
- He was active in Shakespeare theatre. The theatre group was all white people and he was the first Malay in the theatre group.
- After graduation, he taught at an Arab school. Which Arab school?
- Pak Rashid was in the Pahang Volunteer Force
From Bapak 2007:
- Pak Rashid was anti UMNO and hated UMNO (ikut telunjuk). He called Tun Malik a coward. His party & logo had seikat padi. He died and was buried at UPM.
- He was one of the early lecturers at UPM.
- Pak Rashid and datok Mohd Yusope worked together in one department in Kuala Lumpur, before WWII.
- After WWII, Pak Rashid and Pak Idris worked with an iron mining company in Terengganu, which shipped iron to Japan.
- Nationalist - Pak Rashid fought for UMNO but left, along with Dato Onn Jaafar.
- Member of Legislative Council, 1952-1955 (Look at 1954 proceedings.)
- Pekebun kecil. He said: "I have still not done one job - pekebun kecil", who contributed to the nation's wealth. This is the daif group and RISDA was formed.
- RIDA = Rural Industries Development Authority
- Formed in early 1950s
- During Coronation, a special gift was given to all its colonies, an allocation of $500 million
- Pak Rashid was close to Dato' Onn Jaafar and requested for the Malays to form RIDA
- In 1960, it was changed to MARA
- It provided for cottage industries and training
- Arshad Ayob set up UiTM/ITM
- He could speak Malay for 3 hours when he laid out (bentang) the Bill for Bahasa Malaysia to be accepted as the official language.
- That time he was in Legislative Council. His portfolio was Natural Resources.
- Nasir Aziz had opposed and asked that he delivered the Bill in English.
- He spoke perfect English.
- To make Malay the medium of instruction, he met teachers in all states via GPMS for support. His presentation (pembentagan) was at 10 am. He told them to send telegram at 11 am to support him, and won, even though UMNO had opposed
- He used phrases in his speech
- He had good body language
- Kalah Anwar Ibrahim
- Aziz Ishak (Pak Aziz) was his good friend. He was jailed under ISA for 20 years, without trial.
- Pak Rashid competed against Aziz as they didn't know?
- Baja urea was $4 billion/year
- Aziz Ishak had blocked?
- He wrote a book, Guest
- He was unfairly charged; Tun Hussien Onn reinstated and paid him the losses & pay
- His brother Yusof Ishak was Singapore President
Iron ore mining in Terengganu
- He was at Kolej Pertanian
- He lost the election and went to work at an iron mine in Terengganu which earned $300 million/year in 1950.
- Bukit Besi closed in 1964
- They may mine it again
- Bukit Besi is isolated, 18 miles from Dungun
- He ran his own farm by rearing chickens and cows but not fish
- He was an Agricultural Officer, earning $2000/month (a lecturer's pay was $400/mo)
- Bukit Besi already had a supermarket then
- Iron was exported via Sura to Japan'
- Bukit Besi iron was of low quality, used for plating, cannot be used for shipbuilding
- The family lived in wealth
- One day while still working with the mine at Terengganu, Pak Rashid called everyone. He said he wanted to resign and return to Serdang. He was 43.
- Pak Cik Hassan was in Form3 at MCKK
- The family will face difficulties
- Kolej Pertanian was 43 acres
- Pak Rashid went for an interview. Instead of him being interviewed, he interviewed the Board and asked regarding its planning
- He was at Kolej Pertanian 1947-1955. When he came back for the interview, there was still no development
- That time Tun Abdul Razak was developing FELDA
- It was isolated
- Pak Rashid's friends came to borrow his car, by saying they were taking Pak Cik Hassan (then aged 3)
- Pak Rashid returned to UPM with $800/mo pay
- It was decided on the spot
- Malaysia needed more than 47 graduates!
- Malaysia needed 400 diploma!
- Only MU issued degrees
- Pak Rashid had all the facts he needed
- He held the record for reading 1 book a day and never missed reading a book
- He got the job offer
- He said: "The only person who could make this change is ME!"
- He joined UPM
- He was a simple man
- The children suffered the difference
- UPM had 3,000 acres of land
- UPM intake was more than1,000 students/year
- Maintained intake for 95% Malaysian
- Change of UPM name: from U Pertanian M to U Putra M (he would have screamed)
- Students come to see him at home. He was garang tapi baik
- There were few UPM students
- Pak Rashid made it a point to know the students' parents
- Tan Sri Rashdan Baba, Chairman Telekom
- Tan Sri Basir Ismail, Johor SCDC, Petronas, Bank Bumi
- Tan Sri Mohd Nor Ismail
- Tan Sri Arshad Ayob - built ITM
- Tan Sri Ani Arope (Kedah)
- GM TNB (General Manager Tenaga Nasional Berhad)
- DG RRI (Director-General Rubber Research Institute)
- Chairman BSN (Bank Simpanan Nasional)
- Chairman TNB - Malaysiawide blackout occurred when he was in London for 2 days. He was Abang Ibak bin ____________?
- Wan Nik - Head of Proton - Chairman SCDC Terengganu, Yayasan _____?. He took up law.
- He was among the best students, the most brilliant Malay (check Times or Newsweek)
- He scored 92 on an exam; another Chinese scored 94. Pak Rashid lesing Basir!
- He ran Petronas
- Tun Abdul Razak asked him to run Bank Bumiputra after Jalil was murdered
- They bought over FIMA
- His wife, Puan Sri Hamidah, goes to An-Nur (Harun Din's class) every week
- Pak Cik Hassan had spend time in Taiping with a friend, son of Tan Sri Basir. He called out to his grandmother who recognised Pak Cik Hassan. She said: "Engkau kecil, Basir selalu bawa balik, nakal."
- Pak Cik Hassan knows students by name, even in a class of 400 students
- Basir Ismail had potential
- Ani Arope was Deputy DG Pertanian
- Rashdan Baba was the first Malay with PhD (Agric.), aged 32
- Pak Rashid asked if he could stand as 1st VC UPM
- There were many Whites who could stand as the 1st VC UPM
- Decide either VC UKM or VC UPM
- Nobody would dare touch UPM Budget, never even take or reduce it
- Pak Rashid was in full control over UPM
- Pak Rashid had direct communication line with Dato' Onn Jaafar
- Pak Rashid was a very honest man. He never used $ for himself
- Pak Rashid would fill his car boot with fruits and go to see Tun Abdul Razak whom he asked for $5 million to make the UPM mosque
- When UPM budget was slashed by 30%, Rashdan Baba asked Pak Rashid for help. Pak Rashid fought for UPM and got back the 30% cut for Rashdan, for UPM
- Petaling land had fallen to the Chinese
- Pak Cik Hassan had informed about the lost land
- A car stopped to ask for direction
- Hussien Onn gave Pak Rashid the land
- It was cattle grazing land, 800 acres, no highway then, just rubber trees
- This land was for picnic
- Tun Abdul Razak had just died. Raha came. They enjoyed the picnic
- The Govt had no $ to acquire the land. They asked Pak Rashid
- Pak Rashid said: "Kalau engkau hormat aku, please give me this land."
- Pak Rashid went to the Land Office to settle the land; UPM got the land
- He had built UPM from scratch
- The entire generation served UPM
- The Rashid Foundation was set up at UPM in his honour.
From Pak Cik Hassan:
- He escaped to Malaysia for 10 years until Pak Cik Hassan was born. Then he was reunited.
- He had ran away because he could not marry his sweetheart. He married her later, after 40 years.
- His first wife was Che Mah
- His second wife was Rahmah (saudara anjing). Married at 60 years; she already had her own children.
- Bapak & Pak Rashid were close
- Pak Rashid first married Bi' Che Mah (she died in Makkah).
- Pak Rashid remarried.
- Bapak liked both Pak Rashid and Bi' Che Mah
From Pak Cik Hassan, 11 June 2007:
- Pak Rashid suffered from lung cancer
- He was referred to Wak Majid's son, Dr Jefri (Wak Majid is Tan Sri Dr Abdul Majid)
- He had asked Pak Hassan to call Dr Jefry
- Dr Jefri operated on him. The right lung was removed (60%)
- He survived another 3 years
- He was 73 when he died
|Mohd Rashid @ Pak Rashid, Founder of UPM (1914-1986)|
|Pak Rashid the Chegu|
Pak Cik Hassan Rashid
& Mak Cik Jamilah Saleh
No. 3 Desa Al-Amin
Kg. Sungai Tangkas
Pak Cik Hassan: email@example.com
Mak Cik Jamilah: 019-3508343
Full Name: Hassan bin Mohd Rashid
Call name: Pak Cik Hassan
Father: Pak Rashid (Serdang)
Mother's full name: Che Mah bt Mohd Amin (Mat Amin Pasar)
Mother's call name: Bi' Che Mah (Serdang; Bi' Che Mah is kakak Nenek Inche)
Pak Cik Hassan's sibs are:
- Siti Rafeah *
- Siti Ayeshah *
- Harun *
- Abdul Rahman *
- Abdul Rahim (Pak Cik Rahim on TV - gardening program; wrote Seri Taman)
- Hassan (Pak Cik Hassan)
- Siti Zubaidah
- Zainal Abidin
- Siti Khatijah
- Siti Mariam
- Siti Hajar - She came to visit me in Chico, California 1980
|Pak Cik Abdul Rahim bin Mohd Rashid|
|Mak Cik Siti Hajar bt Mohd Rashid and me, Rancheria Drive, Chico, California; May 1980.|
Mak Cik Jamilah's sibs are:
- Hamzah (Biochem, USA; married Norjanah)
- Yusof * (deceased)
- Latif * (deceased)
- Effendi bin Hassan
- Melati bt Hassan - nurse; worked in UAE; now owns 2-3 dialysis centres in Perak and Kelantan
- Edila bt Hassan (UKM)
- Fatimah bt Hassan (UNITEN)
- Halimah bt Hassan (UIA)
|Melati and her baby|
Surau An-Nur - where Pak Cik Hassan prays
Darul Syifa' - near Pak Cik Hassan's place
Ustaz Haron Din
Tuesday AM, first 200 patients
Other times, his assistants will be on duty
Update on Pak Cik Hassan in early 2013:
Mak Bedah's friend in my Facebook informed that Pak Cik Hassan recently suffered from mild stroke and was hospitalised.